What does a conveyancer do?
It’s a common question and not a silly one. Your buying or selling a property and your real estate agent or family member says you need to get a conveyancer. You think it sounds expensive and ask yourself what does a conveyancer actually do.
For buyers, here is the answer to “what does a conveyancer do?”:
- Advises you on the contract.
- Communicates with the seller’s conveyancer on special conditions, cooling off and exchange of contract.
- Arranges for the balance deposit to be paid.
- Communicates with the seller’s conveyancer to make the contract go unconditional.
- Conducts and checks all the relevant property searches to ensure there are no adverse findings and to protect the buyer’s interest.
- Prepares the transfer of property papers for the seller’s solicitors to view.
- Makes arrangements with the incoming bank if the property is being financed.
- Prepares the settlement figures including any adjustments.
- Arranges and effects settlement.
For sellers, here is the answer to “what does a conveyer do?”:
- Prepares the contract (if instructed to or if the real estate agent does not).
- Communicates with the buyer’s conveyancer on special conditions, cooling off and exchange.
- Receives the balance deposit into trust (or arranges for it to go into the agent’s trust account).
- Communicates the contract to go unconditional.
- Deals with the outgoing bank (if applicable).
- Checks the transfer papers sent from the buyer’s conveyancer.
- Checks the settlement figures.
- Arranges settlement with the buyer’s lawyer.
Now you know the answer to “what does a conveyance do?”.
Conveyable is a team of highly experienced and innovative property lawyers offering affordable, fixed-price conveyancing.
We use modern technologies to produce an efficient cost effective service which ultimately benefits you. Our fresh approach to conveyancing is available Queensland wide thanks to modern technology and communication is by email, phone and post.
See our Prices
FAQ’s page has more on what does a conveyancer do.